The cosmetic dentists at Smile32 Family Dentistry have extensive experience with dental veneers. They’ve used them to correct a variety of teeth imperfections. To see their work, take a look at some before and after photos of veneers done in our office.
Placement of composite and porcelain veneers is sometimes referred to as “instant orthodontics” because they can be used to cover a variety of dental problems involving teeth in the “smile zone” including:
- Spaces between the teeth.
- Poorly shaped or crooked teeth.
- Broken or chipped teeth.
- Permanently externally stained and/or internally stained teeth.
- Unsightly or stained fillings.
Unhealthy teeth, dental decay and active gum disease must be treated prior to Dr. Mona Kaur beginning to fabricate and bond dental veneers.
What are dental veneers?
Smile32 Family Dentistry in Fremont offers two types of dental veneers, porcelain veneers and composite veneers. Veneers are thin shells of tooth-colored, translucent porcelain or composite resin, custom made to fit over teeth and improve their color, shape and overall appearance. Placement of dental veneers by cosmetic dentist Dr. Mona Kaur can dramatically improve your smile and appearance.
Dental veneers are not appropriate for everyone or every tooth. Case selection by Dr. Mona Kaur is an extremely important factor in the success of this technique. Some veneer processes involve tooth structure that must be removed, which is not a reversible procedure. Only an examination by the dentists at Smile32 Family Dentistry can determine whether dental veneers are appropriate for making the changes you want. Some of the situations where certain teeth or people are not good candidates for dental veneers include:
- weakened teeth due to a significant amount of tooth structure missing
- teeth with an inadequate amount of enamel present
- people who habitually clench or grind on their teeth which can easily chip or break dental veneers however dental nightguards may be a solution for this in some cases
- unstable bite
- severely malpositioned or misaligned teeth. Orthodontic treatment may be required to achieve the desired treatment
Composite veneers offer a variety of benefits. At Smile32 Family Dentistry, composite veneers:
- are made chairside by Cosmetic dentist, Dr. Mona Kaur
- come with complimentary mockups. Dr. Mona Kaur can complete a mockup in as little as 15 minutes. Mockups show how your smile would look with veneers
- can be completed in a single visit, often without any anesthetic.
- are much more conservative than porcelain veneers since very little, if any tooth structure is removed
- are easily repairable
- can be periodic polished to keep them looking new, which quickly is performed during you regularly scheduled dental visit
- are less expensive than other veneer options
Porcelain veneers differ quite a bit from composite veneers. It’s important to understand the differences in order to make the right choice for your smile. Porcelain veneers:
- are very thin, about 0.5 – 0.7 millimeters and initially brittle however, once bonded to healthy tooth structure it becomes very strong
- can last for many years, usually 10-15 years, if you take good care of them using good oral hygiene and avoiding using them to crack or chew hard objects like ice
- create a very life-like and natural tooth appearance
- are more stain resistant than composite veneers
- require removal of tooth structure and are not reversible
- require two visits and are more expensive than composite veneers.
- cannot be repaired, if a porcelain veneer breaks it must be replaced